Absent or insufficient lactation: Mothers with multiple births, who can not secrete adequate human breastmilk for their neonates initially.
• For babies of non-lactating mothers, who adopt neonates and if induced lactation is not possible.
• Abandoned neonates and sick neonates.
• Temporary interruption of breastfeeding.
• Infant at health risk from breastmilk of the biological mother.
• Babies whose mother died in the immediate postpartum period.
Source : http://www.indianpediatrics.net/june2014/469.pdf